Volunteering brings about many benefits not only to those being helped but also to the volunteer. I have been involved in volunteer positions consistently through out the years serving in a number of different capacities. Most of the volunteer opportunities that I have served at in the past have been through church. Recently I decided I’d like to give more of my time and help people in the community. I now volunteer one morning a week at a food bank in my area. I find it a different and enriching experience each time I go!
Some of the benefits of volunteering are:
- the connections you make with other individuals, meeting people from all different walks of life and expanding your network!
- volunteering gives you a greater sense of community and helps you really see how blessed you are
- as you volunteer, you meet new people and develop better social skills as well as increasing your self-confidence and self esteem
- helping those in need gives you a better attitude all around which carries over to your everyday life, motivation is good!
- if your volunteer position involves lifting, sorting, a lot of moving around you’ll also benefit physically from it as well, (not so much sitting at the computer or on your couch)
- develop new skills or discover something you are good at and enjoy doing
- volunteering can also benefit your career as you grow and utilize skills that you use. Perhaps you problem solve, are great at organization or a super team player these will all benefit you in the long run
So I hope this sheds a little light on volunteering and spurs you on to volunteer in your community. Helping others always brings blessings and makes you feel good! Especially during the holiday season when people feel extra pressure to spend more money. Many folks are just trying to feed their families and buy the necessities of life. A little help can go a long way to bring some cheer to a family in need!
Starfish and Ocean Change of Address Sticker
Smiling Snowman Christmas Ornaments
Turquoise Blossoms Gift Bag
Tall Castles and Buildings Silhouettes Nite Lites
Cozy House Christmas Greetings 2 Pound Dark Chocolate Bar Box